Metaverse technologies will help democratize quality education worldwide.
In recent years, tech giants like Microsoft and Facebook, now called Meta (its new name projecting the impact of the metaverse), have started betting on innovations in virtual reality environments based on the behaviors and preferences of new generations in Regard to technology and technology based as it is increasingly ingrained in their time.
According to a recent study by Wunderman Thompson, 75% of working people are more or less dependent on technological aids for their daily activities.
On the other hand, we are in the midst of an unprecedented cultural shift in terms of the exponential increase in the use of virtual environments. Another study by The New Consumer concludes that around 50% of Gen Z people feel more identified with themselves online.
This marks a trend of transformation in several sectors such as educational technology or EdTech that is creating an unprecedented impact in the field, showing the revolution of changes being generated in it, for which we must reflect on these 10 trends that we indicate how the technologies of the Metaverses will transform higher education and business education:
1. The potential of virtual environments is undisputed: various platforms have become widespread and have made important advances to embed dynamics and rules of conduct (digital etiquette), as well as healthy usage habits and safety measures in the minds of students. This level of digital literacy would be unthinkable without the boom of platforms like Roblox, Minecraft or Fortnite, which help the youngest from an early age to acquire skills that will benefit them when accessing training programs over the next decade.
2. Exponentially increasing the quality of learning: By enabling the personalized exploration students can engage in in the educational environments of the Metaverse, we will see a quantum leap in the way educational institutions reconfigure their academic offerings to be more flexible in their programs and effectively.
3. The interaction between gamification and teaching: The implementation of immersive technologies in the educational process will enable a more immersive and gamified experience for the students, which will not only improve their engagement with their own preparation, but also greatly improve the effectiveness of learning.
4. The democratization of quality education and the ability to educate millions instead of hundreds. As the Education Metaverse develops, there is an opportunity to create a larger market for Educational Institutions’ business, increase their enrollment in previously unexplored regions, grow in their existing markets, or capitalize on adjacent markets.
5. New ways of understanding the student and the teacher: The roles as we know them today will evolve to adapt to the educational model and the environment in which the content is presented. In the metaverse, the teacher must assume a role of moderator, mentor, and guide. While the student stops being passive to become the protagonist of adventures, he becomes a ship’s captain, choosing which islands of human knowledge to know and master.
6. Onboarding New Partners in Educational Programs: Educational institutions will begin to forge closer partnerships with technology companies and alliances with the various industry sectors for the development of content for the educational metaverse, and together create educational programs that are increasingly experiential and specific to the needs of the business world.
Implementing the metaverse in education brings numerous benefits and an unprecedented cultural shift as we all collectively make this quantum leap toward a whole new way of conceptualizing the educational experience. Closer collaboration between universities, technology companies and industrial sectors will transform the way students and staff are trained to take new generation learning to a level never seen before in human history. ..